10/24/2011

south bound - part II



October 22, 2011

We drive off the highway and park in a patch of grass surrounded by trees on all sides. Here, we wait until the last star twinkles away into the brightening sky. I can see my breath whiffling out as I exhale, gleaming against the bright red glow of Clayton's tail lights. Because Clayton and I arrived early, we are waiting (in our vehicles, of course, with the heat on) for the rest of the crew to arrive. I can't keep from thinking that if I weren't doing a photo story on Clayton, I would still be tucked beneath the warmth and solitude of my blankets. I'm really glad that's not the case. This is exactly what I love about photojournalism - it takes you places you might not otherwise have gone. It gets you out and shows you the world in a brand new perspective. A different angle. And getting to share people's stories through my photography is the most amazing feeling of all. It really brings us together as a community, and I think it's great that there are people like Lewis Clayton who are willing to allow photographers to document their lives and to share their stories with the world.

Here are a few more shots from the story...


No comments:

Post a Comment